Back to all jobs
Gillian Executive Search, Inc. - recruiters in real estate development, construction and architecture
As a Senior Development Manager, you are an integral part of our client’s Development team. You will manage the development process for multiple affordable housing transactions simultaneously, from initial feasibility to perm-loan conversion. This includes supervising and carrying out all technical aspects of development such as feasibility, planning, acquisition, design, financing, construction, and lease-up. In addition to project management of specific deals, as a Senior Development Managers you will support the company’s strategic plan to increase out impact as an organization. They have a slight hybrid schedule so you will work from either their Newport Beach, CA office 3 days per week and from home 2 days per week or if you reside in Northern California such as San Francisco or Sacramento you will work remotely but travel to the Southern California office as needed.
- Reviewing prospective development opportunities including the acquisition and rehabilitation of existing multi-family properties and vacant land suitable for the new construction of affordable housing.
- Creating achievable project development plans and strategies including project design and site planning in conjunction with project architects.
- Evaluating financial feasibility and the preparation of finance plans for development.
- Ordering and reviewing project due diligence including surveys, environmental reports, capital needs assessments, market studies, title issues, and appraisals.
- Closing pre-development, construction, and permanent financing from conventional, public, and non-profit agencies. Sample sources include 4%/9% LIHTC, State Tax Credits, HOME, CDBG, VHHP, AHSC, PBV/HAP, Private Grants, etc.
- Developing and managing overall project budget and financing.
- Working with private and public officials to obtain all project entitlement approvals, which includes attending public hearings and meetings.
- Managing and tracking project schedules through close-out.
- Preparation of project financing and funding applications including LIHTC, grants, and construction/permanent financing.
- Overseeing internal and third-party project team members and project lenders/funders in the closing of project’s acquisition and financing/funding.
- Managing the project close-out requirements.
- Additional duties as assigned by Director of Development.
Experience we are looking for:
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time, each in various stages of development.
- Advanced knowledge of affordable housing financing and the ability to independently manage project proformas.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (in English), allowing for clear and succinct communication in a variety of settings (phone, video, in-person, email), and with people of various backgrounds and levels, both internally and externally.
- A strong customer focus, with dedication to meeting the expectations, needs and requirements of internal and external customers, successfully gaining their trust and respect.
- Ability to successfully interface and build strong cross-functional relationships with all levels of internal team members and external strategic partners (agencies, legislators, elected officials, jurisdictions, other stakeholders and decision makers), finding common ground and solving problems for the good of all.
- A clear communicator with the ability to keep all parties informed, establishing clear direction, laying out work in a well-planned and organized manner, and maintains two-way dialogue with others on work and results.
- Ability to foster open dialogue, effectively creating strong morale and spirit in project teams, while sharing wins and successes – you create a feeling of belonging in the team.
- Ability to inform, empower and delegate, allowing project team members to finish and be responsible for their work and defining success in terms of the whole team.
- Ability to clearly communicate our client’s vision and purpose to external parties and co-workers.
- Ability to maneuver through political situations effectively and quietly, anticipating land mines and planning your approach accordingly. This means that you know how to get things done through formal channels and informal networks.
- Ability to marshal resources (people, funding, materials, support) to get things done and orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal. Arranges information in a useful manner.
- Functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment, finding ways to share knowledge with others. Prioritizes time effectively and completes tasks and action items efficiently while strategically moving projects forward.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, Urban Planning, Real Estate Development, Architecture or another relevant field (or equivalent experience).
- Master’s in Real Estate preferred.
- Minimum 4-5 years of LIHTC-specific multi-family housing development experience.
- Minimum 3 years of experience managing general contractors and construction managers.
- Advanced knowledge of affordable housing financing with the ability to independently manage project proforma.
- Ability to run complex affordable housing analysis.
- The salary range for this position is $155,000-$180,000, depending on experience. Plus Performance bonuses.