Gillian Executive Search, Inc. - recruiters in real estate development, construction and architecture
The Director of Development will lead a team that is responsible for implementing all aspects of the development of affordable housing projects throughout The San Francisco Bay Area. Projects may include new construction, acquisition and rehabilitation, portfolio syndication, and joint ventures with other developers.
Firm Overview Our Client is a vertically integrated real estate development and construction management company that has been in business for over 30 years. They have developed/built affordable housing, market rate multifamily, townhomes and condominiums throughout the Bay area.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Understands LIHTC and HCD financing and is able to lead the financing of affordable projects.
- Assists with formulating department strategy.
- Conducts preliminary feasibility analyses.
- Works with public agency staff to assure timely public review and approval including environmental and other entitlement reviews.
- Coordinates environmental review and local agency approvals.
- Negotiate contracts with contractors, engineers and architects.
- Prepares and monitor project budgets, cash flow projections and project schedules.
- Oversees design and construction management to ensure attention given to special-user needs, project budget, timelines, and lender/investor requirements.
- Makes public presentations on behalf of client at external project and policy meetings.
- When necessary, taking the lead for hiring and orientation of new development staff in the region.
- Facilitates training and technical support for new project developers.
- Prepares written report material and grant applications and makes presentations before public bodies and community groups.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experience or background in all aspects of affordable housing project development from acquisition, through construction close, lease-up, and conversion.
- Working knowledge and experience with local, state and federal housing financing programs; including HCD programs, HOME, Low Income, Housing Tax Credits, and Tax-Exempt Bonds.
- Working knowledge of the state and local entitlement and public approvals processes
- Previous supervisory experience
- Ability to conduct financial analysis and budget preparation
- Effective oral and written communication, interpersonal and conflict-resolution skills
- Effective public presentation skills.
- Ability to work in and lead project teams and to work with a wide variety of individuals.
- Computer skills including word processing and spread sheets for financial analysis required
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills·
- Must be able and willing to travel and attend evening and weekend meetings as requested.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.A.) or equivalent;
- 7-10 years related experience and/or training; or an equivalent combination of education and experience in the management of multifamily affordable housing opportunities in the San Francisco, CA area market.
- OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A passion for real estate development.
PREFERRED SKILLS and/or ABILITIES
- Must be able to wear several hats from sourcing, acquisitions, entitlements, development and project management.
- Driven ability to hop on the phone and make things happen.
- Comfortable putting out fires and pivoting focus when necessary.
- Excellent organizational and written communication skills
- Creative problem solving abilities.
- Solid time management ability
- Ability to prioritize and work independently on a wide variety of tasks.
- Experience and familiarity with computer software including, Microsoft Word and Excel; ability to create and manipulate spreadsheets.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), decision-making, interpersonal, negotiation, conflict resolution and time management skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and successfully meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate and interface professionally and sensitively to staff, board, residents and public.
- Flexible, creative, well-organized.
- Ability to handle shifting and multiple priorities in a fast paced, growth environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must be able and willing to travel to all company locations to carry out duties and responsibilities.
- Experience working with diverse groups, i.e., staff, residents, outside contacts.
- Commitment to the companies’ goals and philosophy.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- The ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and boards of directors.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Must have reliable automobile transportation and a valid California Driver’s License and insurance.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. Physical demands include writing/typing, use of computer and paper files, answering phones, attending meetings.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. This is a regional and remote position and requires a self-driven personality.
JOB DESCRIPTION REVISION
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions d with this job. While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks are performed when circumstances change. This job description replaces all previous descriptions for this position.
Compensation: 195-215K (based on experience) plus 20-30% performance bonuses.
Gillian Executive Search is a leader in multifamily and affordable housing development recruiting.
Kipp Gillian | President | kgillian(at)gessearch(dotcom) | 866-600-0437 x 1