Gillian Executive Search, Inc. - recruiters in real estate development, construction and architecture
Southwest Development Director, Newport Beach, CA – Affordable Housing
Our client is deeply proud of their track record of providing award-winning solutions to housing. They work every day to achieve our mission of creating life-enhancing affordable housing that transcends the fundamental goal of providing high quality homes by builiding innovative and sustainable developments with a focus on long-term community engagement. As a mission-driven certified B Corp, they are unique in their field as a for-profit developer that leads with their impact goals. Since their inception in 2012, they have built a portfolio of nearly 3,000 homes with another 1,000 in their pipeline, amounting to over $1.2 billion in total development costs.
But equally as important is who they are as a team. They believe in forward progress, continuous collaboration, authentic connection, and mixing it all up with a healthy dose of fun. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, they offer a full suite of benefits that includes highly subsidized insurance, retirement plan with matching contributions, a sabbatical program, cell phone reimbursement, PTO, and more.
They’re adding to their growing team, and their SW Development Director based out of our Newport Beach, California office is just the latest in our growth plan! As their Development Director for the Southwest region, you will be an integral part of the Development team, leading the acquisition, development, and management of their projects from inception to permanent loan conversion in California, Arizona and Nevada. You will be a strategic partner to the development staff and leadership team as they implement systems, tools and processes that support a smoother workflow, allowing for great impact across the organization.
Gillian Executive Search is proud to be under contract to lead this search for them.
Your role will involve:
- Supervising Project Managers, Development Managers and Development Associates, directing their work through all phases of development.
- Working collaboratively with the CDO, Development Director NW and Transaction Manager to provide clarity and consistency across the development department.
- Managing the SW pipeline of development to meet our client’s strategic plan goals.
- Researching potential sources of project funding and assisting project managers with structuring projects, seeking early feedback from other internal and external stakeholders, as needed.
- Reviewing project proformas and providing guidance on project feasibility.
- Evaluating funding requests and authorizing spending consistent with approved project budgets.
- Monitoring projects to assess tracking with schedules and budgets, and assisting with addressing material changes to the timeline and/or budget impacts.
- Participating in project-related meetings as necessary, including strategy and negotiation sessions, programming meetings, design and construction meetings, community meetings, etc.
- Supervising and guide contractor and consultant selection process including evaluating fee proposals and finalizing contract terms and conditions.
- Reviewing and approving team members’ work product including funding applications, legal documents, financial projections, internal board approval reports, fee projections, etc.
- Fostering and maintaining a supportive team environment and implementing team building/learning opportunities.
- Preparing quarterly predevelopment and developer fee projections to support the organization’s financial planning.
- Developing and implementing ongoing staff training, growing the team’s knowledge and skills.
- Collaborating with the Chief Development Officer to review opportunities and assess staffing plans and needs.
- Building strong working relationships with government agencies, joint developers, lenders and investors.
If the following describes you, we want to hear from you:
- Ability to successfully interface and build strong cross-functional relationships with all levels of internal team members and external strategic partners (agencies, legislators, elected officials, jurisdictions, other stakeholders and decision makers), finding common ground and solving problems for the good of all.
- Ability to maneuver through complex local political situations effectively and quietly.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (in English), allowing for clear and succinct communication in a variety of settings (phone, video, in-person, email), and with people of various backgrounds and levels, both internally and externally.
- Ability to assemble talented staff, hiring the best people available from inside or outside the organization.
- Ability to lead and develop direct reports, providing challenging and stretching tasks and assignments while creating strong morale and spirit on the team, managing accountability as needed.
- Ability to accurately scope out length and difficulty of work and projects, anticipating and adjusting for problems, clearly assigning responsibility for tasks and decisions, setting clear objectives, ensuring progress and results, while embedding feedback loops into the work.
- Clearly and comfortably delegates both routine and important tasks and decisions; broadly shares both responsibility and accountability; trusts people to perform; allows direct reports and others to finish their work.
- A strong customer focus, with dedication to meeting the expectations, needs and requirements of internal and external customers, successfully gaining their trust and respect.
- Willingness to stand up and be counted, taking personal responsibility for outcomes, and can be counted on when times are tough.
- High level of expertise in real estate finance and deal structuring. Mastery over all aspects of complicated LIHTC transactions.
- Advanced knowledge of affordable housing financing, and advanced analytical, financial and quantitative skills, including the ability to review complex financial reports prepared by others.
- Ability to solve problems involving multiple options, making decisions with an in-depth understanding and interpretation of procedures, company policies and business practices to achieve complex results.
- Technically savvy with a thorough knowledge of MS Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word) and comfort with Google Suite.
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Bachelors Degree in Business Administration, Urban Planning, Real Estate Development, Architecture or another relevant field.
- Minimum 7 years of real estate development experience.
- Minimum 7 years of LIHTC experience, including direct experience with California LIHTC.
- Minimum 5 years of people management, preferably direct reports or equivalent external vendor management.
- Experience managing both ground-up and rehab projects.
- Masters in real estate development or related field preferred.
Reasonable compensation expectation is a range based on breathe of relevant experience in this field.
– Base 150K to 220K
– Plus performance bonuses and benefits
Contact Kipp Gillian | Gillian Executive Search
firstname.lastname@example.org | 866-600-0437 x 1
Or simply click “Apply for job”