Gillian Executive Search, Inc. - recruiters in real estate development, construction and architecture
The Senior Vice President of Construction will be responsible for managing multiple multifamily / mixed-use construction projects through their lifecycle. This includes financial analysis, due diligence, design, planning, permitting, estimating, budgeting, buy-out and construction management through turn-over. The role requires managing the day-to-day work of the project teams, including project managers, superintendents, administrative staff, architects, project consultants and contractors. This position will need to work closely with the relevant government agencies to secure approvals and permits. The role requires close management of projects under construction to ensure the project is on budget and on schedule while at the same time ensuring that quality and design objectives are met.
Company background Our client is a California real estate development and investment firm. They are creating dynamic mixed-use communities for improved living. Their collaborative design process places a premium on efficient and creative use of space. They utilize a cost-effective, innovative, modular multifamily design that delivers modern amenities in efficient spaces, while keeping rents accessible to a wide range of residents. Our client offers dynamic, community-serving spaces throughout their properties. Working in partnership with local non-profits, they activate these areas with a wide mix of on-site programs to meet residents’ needs and priorities.
- Manage the efforts of both in-house construction teams when self-performing and that of hired 3rd party General Contractors.
- Manage all aspects of reporting of project costs, schedule compliance and quality control using various types of reporting systems.
- Participate in and take a leadership role in all aspects of the development, preconstruction and construction phases of projects.
- Direct value engineering efforts to achieve efficiencies in construction costing.
- Oversee the bidding process, selection of and negotiations with subcontractors and vendors.
- Recruit, assign and manage as necessary, operations teams for multiple projects.
- Ensure the various construction operations secure and maintain all required and necessary licensing and insurance.
- Participate and play an active role in Executive and Management team building.
- Maintain good and proper working relationships with Associates, Subcontractors, Vendors, Consultants, Investors, Lenders and other industry counterparts.
- Manage the regional business unit as a separate division and be accountable for overall P&L, overhead and business operations.
- Administer to, approve and oversee regional construction management team budgets including salaries and office expenses in accordance with client policies and reporting requirements.
- Meet with property management as necessary to ensure appropriate product turnover quality.
- Prioritize and ensure compliance with corporate safety and risk management policies and practices.
- Provide leadership, direction and guidance in construction procedures, building codes, estimating, budgeting, scheduling and safety practices.
- Taking a leadership role in responding immediately to emergencies and acts of God that may have impacted either projects under construction or completed
- All other duties as assigned. Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s or Post-graduate degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction or Business Management. Significant and applicable prior experience in a similar position may be considered in lieu of a bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of 15 years Construction experience including business operations, preconstruction and construction management within a strong 3rd party general contractor or multifamily owner/builder.
- Career focused in the construction industry, particularly high density multifamily property development (subterranean podium experience required)
- Job Cost and Schedule Management
- Prior Business Unit/Profit & Loss management experience is required.
- Prior experience managing at least 4 to 6 direct reports and 2 to 4 projects simultaneously Skills/Specialized Knowledge
- Interact with and maintains a cooperative working relation associates, consultants, contractors and permitting authorities using poise and diplomacy
- Ability to communicate well in English both written and verbally
- Maintain a calm demeanor under stress
- Written communications and presentations in a professional concise manner
- Comfort in speaking before an audience with confidence using appropriate communication skills/style
- Knowledge and understanding of development and construction practices
- Detail oriented and drive to always be on top of areas of responsibility
- Strong leadership skills with ability to build relationships, manage and inspire both internal and external teams
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines and work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously through high energy, flexibility, and excellent organizational skills
- Effective organizational and time-management skills, including tracking and maintaining short- and long-term project schedules
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in reviewing, comprehending, analyzing, and interpreting complex documents, including legal contracts, finance documents, and architectural drawings and specifications
- Strong MS Office skills including Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Microsoft Project Location: This position is hands-on and cannot be “phoned-in”. Position will be based in Los Angeles and the SVP (and the SVP’s team) will occupy an office on each project’s site. Job Requirements:
- This position will be located on-site, you must be comfortable running your team from a field office. This will not be remote or allowed to be remote.
- 40+ hours a week with regular office hours
- You must bring commitment, enthusiasm, and dedication to the job
Salary Range: $300,000 +/- annual
Bonus: Performance based bonus
Incentives: Position will participate in the construction company profits and fees.
Our Client is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Gillian Executive Search is the leader in high-level executive recruiting in real estate development and construction.