Gillian Executive Search, Inc. - recruiters in real estate development, construction and architecture
Our client is a rapidly growing multifamily real estate development and investment company headquartered in Coastal Orange County California that is finalizing a programmatic partnership with Bain Capital Real Estate. As part of their expansion plans, they are looking for a seasoned Development Project Manager to help direct the execution of institutional-quality multifamily development projects and our overall business plan.
What we’re looking for: As a Development Project Manager, you will organize and be responsible for all aspects of the development process, beginning with conceptualization, through entitlements, and ending with successful completion of the project and turnover to asset management. This includes site feasibility to identify constructability and path to entitlements, conceptual site plan development and oversight, providing guidance and management of the site drawing package, direct client interaction for status, scope updates and schedule management. This is an exciting opportunity for a seasoned candidate to build and lead a new team for a rapidly growing organization. We are a very well-capitalized firm and are looking to deploy capital and scale quickly. We offer a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits package, and the potential for equity ownership. If you are a results-driven leader with a passion for real estate and a desire to make a significant impact, this role is for you. Responsibilities:
- Initiate and organize the creation of the overall development concept with a specific focus on target customer(s), project identity and market positioning.
- Lead the initial planning process, including direction of conceptual design and evaluation of options in the context of entitlement path and desired product type.
- Direct all pre-development activities with 3rd party professionals (e.g., A&E), specifically including pre-closing design and entitlement work, resolution of due diligence issues, and satisfaction of closing contingencies (contractual and imposed by Investment Committee).
- Prepare requests to the Investment Committee for capital investment and pre-development expenditures. Efficiently and clearly present (i.e., advocate and defend) key facts, strategic vision, challenges, risks, and investment considerations.
- Ownership of project entitlements, including, developing entitlement approval strategy and action plan, coordinating and attending hearings through completion of all entitlement approvals, coordinating design to include entitlement required documentation, and active tracking of contractual obligations with city and related jurisdictions, including but not limited to the Development Agreement and Environmental Mitigation Measures.
- Provide leadership to project team and maintain comprehensive working knowledge of construction progress.
- Plan, organize, and conduct regular project team meetings to maximize likelihood of achieving schedule, budget, and quality objectives.
- Prepare monthly reports, including updates regarding budget, schedule, and market conditions. Evaluate potential impacts to business plan and investment returns.
- Collaborate with the Asset Management Team throughout the entire process, specifically including creation and execution of marketing/leasing plans, consultation regarding potential change orders (i.e., scope or quality changes), and other key strategic decisions related to the business plan.
- Promote collaboration across multiple disciplines (i.e., asset management, construction, other developers, acquisitions, finance, etc.) to solicit valuable input; ensure that team members are well-informed. Encourage active dialogue, open debate, and a healthy exchange of ideas. Qualifications:
- Minimum of 7-10 years of hands-on real estate experience preferably with a focus on multifamily. While the industry experience likely is not limited to the development role, the candidate should have progressive accomplishments that demonstrate increased responsibility in a variety of related functions (e.g., site acquisition, design & permitting, construction, etc.)
- An undergraduate degree, preferably with an engineering, construction, real estate, architecture, or business major
- Strong project management experience, including selecting, contracting, and managing consultants, design professionals and general contractors
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel as the Developer will produce, review, and analyze relatively complex project budgets and financial projections
- Strong knowledge of the Southern California market and submarkets
- A self-starter with a proven track record and the ability to manage large projects
- Strong work ethic and attention-to-detail
- Possess strong interpersonal skills
- Entrepreneurial mindse
Gillian Executive Search is a leader in recruiting for real estate development, acquisitions and construction management.